Friday, January 15, 2010

Weather Window

Everything we read has said to wait for a good weather window to cross over to the Bahamas. In this case the weather we are waiting for is wind from any direction except north. When a north wind opposes north flowing current of the gulf stream steep waves develop. We had similar conditions on a smaller scale in the Delaware Bay which can be seen in a video here.

When we attempted to leave Lake Worth for West End in Grand Bahama the wind was forecast to be 5-10 knots out of the North becoming East at 10 knots. As we pulled out of the inlet at 1 a.m. we had gusts to 20 knots out of the north with 2-3 foot seas near shore. If we continued conditions would have deteriorated and neither of us were looking for a rough night time sail.

We are waiting for a new weather window in Miami which would allow us to leave pre dawn on Tuesday morning. This time we would be leaving from Miami bound for Bimini.

No comments:

Post a Comment